What is fertilityMentor?
fertilityMentor is a web-based application that guides you in observing, recording and interpreting your fertility symptoms according to the Billings Method.
Outline of the Trial
- Females aged between 16 and 38 are invited to participate in a pilot trial of fertilityMentor.
- To be eligible you must be proficient in the English language, not be pregnant and not use contraceptive medication (eg the pill) or devices during the pilot trial. To avoid any possible disadvantage please do not apply if you cannot satisfy these requirements.
- You do not have to be sexually active in order to participate and learn about your fertility.
- Participation will last at most for three months and requires a few minutes each day to record your observations. You must have reliable and lawful access to a computer, tablet or smart phone which can connect to the internet.
- The benefits of participation are that the application will guide you on how to observe and describe your basic fertility symptoms, without measuring temperature or hormone levels, and give you feedback on your fertility status each day.
- You will be asked to consent to your fertility data being used, without any personal identification, in research.
- Participants under the age of 18 will be asked to provide a contact for a parent/guardian so that consent for use of the fertility data may be obtained.
- At the end of the pilot trial you may be asked undertake an interview or attend a meeting of particiapants, to review the trial. You will also have an opportunity to discuss your fertility records with a fertility educator. No personal identifying information will be recorded at any time.
- Click on the 'how to participate' link at the top of this page and you will be guided through the intitial steps for the trial.
On our part:
- We guarantee that we will not collect any personal identifying information about you. We guarantee that the personal records that you submit as part of this trial will not be able to be associated with you by anyone. All the data that you submit as part of this trial will be identified by the randomly generated six character user identifier.
- The computer-based learning system will provide all the guidance that you need to record and interpret your natural fertility symptoms.
- You will gain considerable benefit in self knowledge by participating in the trial. We will offer you the opportunity to discuss your fertility records with a fertility educator at the end of the trial.
- We will make a report on the results of the trial available to you.
On your part:
- You must be prepared to spend a few minutes each day over the weeks of the trial to record your fertility symptoms. You must give your consent that they can be used for the research purposes of the trial investigators.
- You must be proficient in English.
- Because hormonal medication, such as the contraceptive pill and implants, negates the natural fertility symptoms, you cannot meaningfully participate if you use hormonal medication during the trial.
- Because the natural fertility symptoms cease during pregnancy you cannot meaningfully participate in this trial if you are pregnant.
- You should be aware that sexual intercourse/stimulation can cause confusion about the natural fertility symptoms.